Thursday, January 21, 2016

I Saw Star Wars...Finally!

Yesterday, I finally made it to a movie theater and saw Star Wars The Force Awakens.  I've read many articles about it and seen some posts on my Facebook feed theorizing about where the new characters are going to go on their journey, etc.  But overall, I have managed to stay away from any major spoilers so I was able to enjoy the movie.

And I did enjoy it very much. I never saw the last trilogy that was made in the 2000s. I heard they were not so good. To be honest, I am not a sci-fi fan...at all.  I saw the original trilogy back in the day. In fact, I saw the original Star Wars at the movies twice, which is major for me.  Although, that wasn't so much because I loved it as it was I went once with my cousin and then had to go a second time as a family outing. I liked it thought. My favorite movies of that era were Close Encounters and Superman. I loved Superman with Christopher Reeve. That I went to see twice because I really wanted to. I still remember how excited I go sitting through the opening credit sequence of Superman.

Anyway, back to Star Wars. I saw the original trilogy when it came out,. And saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back again in the late 1990s when the re-released them . Return of the Jedi, I really don't remember much. I sought once, on VHS in my aunt and uncle's apartment with 3 bratty 13 years old triplets who had already seen it and wouldn't shut up through the whole movie.

So, The Force Awakens. It felt like the original movies. It looked like the original movies. It was a great homage to those films and fit right in with them. As if it was a part of the same story and the same direct's vision. And for this reason alone I loved it. I had also read an article that theorized that it was almost a remake of the original in its story. And I couldn't help that informing my viewing of it. I agree. We start out on a desert landscape. A lone young person comes into the possession of a droid with some important intel. There's the Order (Empire), the Resistance (Rebels), they escape on a ship and team up with its owner (not giving away any spoilers here), there's a Cantina like location with a bunch of strange looking creatures. There's a battle between a good person and a bad person on the mother ship. There are plenty of other parallels but I can't say without spoilers. So I'll stop there. You'll just have to see it yourself.

So I definitely give it two thumbs up. And like I said, I am not a sci-fi person, In fact, I don't like sic-fi in general. I've seen a couple of the Star Trek movies, The Final Frontier and Generations. And I saw the reboot with Chris Pine as Kirk a couple of years ago, bit thats it. I'm not into this stuff. I don't like other planets and weird alien looking creatures and stuff. Does nothing for me. Although, I did watch a few Star Trek Next Generation episodes back in the 90s and liked what I saw of those. But in general, not a sci-fi fan.

But Star Wars? Go! See it! Its awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment