Tuesday, December 1, 2015

My Peanuts Obsession (The Comic Strip. Not the Nut. Although I do like a nice big jar of Planters Peanuts too!)

In an earlier blog, I spoke of my love and devotion to television. Today, I reveal yet another obsession of mine...Peanuts. The comic strip by Charles M Schulz. I love it. And in recent years, I have begun collecting Peanuts books, prints, decorations and other objects.

The Complete Peanuts (so far)


I always liked Peanuts, even as a kid. My elementary school had an annual book fair where we could buy books and I would buy the paperback reprints of old Peanuts comics. I remember going to Clapp's Bookstore on Madison Avenue next to the old Madison movie theater in Albany and buying a couple there.

When I was in the seventh grade, I bought a paperback edition of the script to You're A Good Man Charlie Brown at Waldenbooks in Colonie Center. I always loved Charlie Brown. I identified with him. But it didn't really become apparent until my junior year of college just how much. That was when I was cast as Charlie Brown in my college production of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown. Here's the thing, not only did I identify with Charlie Brown, I truly believed that I was a real life Charlie Brown. In my mind, I could do no right, no one really truly cared about me, they just felt sorry for me and I would never win at anything, ever. This is how I saw myself...really!

The published script bought in the Seventh Grade


Years later, I had the opportunity to play Charlie Brown again. At the auditions, the director asked if I would be interested in playing Snoopy. I said no. He thought I was nuts. "It's the best part!", he said. I replied, "I know and someday I would like to play Snoopy, but I really need to play Charlie Brown." Why? Because I felt that when I played him in college I wasn't acting. I was just being me. I wanted another shot at it so I could try acting it this time. I was cast as Charlie Brown and it was a great time. And in fact one of the most memorable on stage moments of my life took place. But that's a story for another blog.

That's me under the bag in my college production


This blog is about my love of Peanuts and the art of Charles M Schulz. It started about 10 years ago when Fantagraphics began publishing the Complete Peanuts, every single strip ever published in the newspapers from the very first strip in October 1950 through the last one in February 2000 just before Charles M Schulz's death. Two volumes every year, each containing two whole years worth of strips. Every two volumes combined in a nice box set. The second to last just came out (1995-1998) last month. I got my copy today.

That means there is only one volume left 1999 -2000. Then its over. I read that strip every day in the NY Daily News right up until the last. It was a constant in my life. When he died, it was like part of my childhood was gone.

I've become a fan of Schulz's art work. Simple. If you look at the backgrounds, the trees, the grass. It's actually great graphic art. Each volume of the series features inside covers with nothing but background art, a page of rain drops, or a field of daisies. So simple and compelling. It's almost like a comfort food that brings me back to my childhood and all those books and the TV specials.

This year at Comic Con I bought some original sketches from one of the TV specials.  I have books on the making of the Christmas special (one hard cover and one paperback), a book of art and special collectibles, the Broadway revival show card, a stuffed Charlie Brown, some limited edition Christmas ornaments and a couple of collectibles from Comic Con.

So now that I have the latest volume I plan to read every single strip in there. I don't collect anything else other than TV shows on DVDs.  It's like I'm hanging on to a part of my childhood. I can go back and pick up a book anytime and read some of my favorite strips and it will bring me back to lying on my bed reading those old paperbacks.

Thank you Mr. Schulz.




No comments:

Post a Comment