Saturday, December 5, 2015

Game Nights and the game no one will play with me

I like game nights. I host occasional game nights at my house. They are usually pretty low key. Just a small gathering of us. I am better at certain types of games over others. I am better at trivia games. Not as good at games that involve some sort of strategy. I can be pretty lazy when it comes to those. I don't want to spend too much time thinking.

When we play word games like Taboo, Catchphrase or Dictionary, I have a tendency to shout out one word after another until I get the correct word. But trivia games, that's my area. If we have teams, you want me on you team.

I have been on a couple of game shows over the years that involve trivia. Several years ago, I was on a show called Clash! which was on the HA! network. What's that you say? What's the HA! network? Remember before Comedy Central both MTV Networks and Time Warner had their own comedy networks, one was called HA! and the other was called Comedy Channel? Well they didn't do so well on their own so they merged and became Comedy Central.



Anyway, I was on Clash! as part of a team of three. Our team won, but I was not the leading scorer eon our team so I didn't get to go for the final round. But I did answer all the questions in the speed round which is how the team won. The speed round went like this, they give you three categories (kind of like Jeopardy), you don't know exactly what they mean but you can get a fair idea. And then they give you three dollar amounts, $50, $100 and $150. You decide based not the titles which value you want to give to which category. Mine were Cops Shops and Flops. I knew immediately, Cops was probably TV cop shows, Flops was probably movie failures and Shops might have something to do with retail. All three ares of expertise for me. So I jumped right in assigned the dollar amounts and then the questions came and I answered all of them correctly.

Shops for $50, What NYC department store hosts the annual Thanksgiving Day parade?
Flops for $100. What 1980 box office failure was directed by Michael Cimino?
Cope for $150. What 1970s cop show featured three young officers?

Macys
Heaven's Gate
The Rookies

Bam! We each won a set of luggage, crystal ware (which I still have), and an electric typewriter (yes, typewriter that s how long ago this was).

After moving to Los Angeles, I was on Merv Griffin's Crosswords. It only last one season and I still can't believe I passed the test to get on. It was hard! Proven by the fact that I only attempted to answer a question once and I was wrong.

A year later, I was on Trivial Pursuit America Play hosted by Peter Brady himself, Chris Knight.
I went all the way and won $13,100. I was unstoppable! I could have gone for double or nothing and made $26,200 but I made a decision before filming began that if I made it to the final round and I had the chance to double or nothing, then I would take what I had and go.

So I know trivia. Especially, TV shows, movies, sports figures, Broadway theatre and popular music of my generation and the generation before mine. If you were to ask me about current things, I'm not so knowledgeable.

Anywho...all this to preamble. my game nights. For Christmas 1996, I was given a game called Nick at Nite TV Trivia game. It's a board game that looks like the different rooms in a house. Each player has a figure that goes around the room and you answer questions read off a card, each representing a different room in the house. If yo get the answer right, you get a section to place in your TV dinner tray. The first person to fill up their TV dinner tray wins. (See below picture)


No one ever wants to play this game with me. Why? Because its all about classic TV shows of the 1950s though the 1970s. The game came out in 1996 when Nick at Nite was airing shows from those eras. They hadn't even started airing 1980s TV shows yet.

I haven't played this game in years. I've never played it enough so that I even have read all the cards. But no one will ever play it with me because they know I'm going to win. It's not like I'll gloat or be ungracious about winning. Just no one wants to play because I WILL win. There's no contest so why bother. Jeez, if I felt that way about games, I would never play anything but this one. But I don't do that. I play whatever game my friends want to play.

Except Ticket to Ride. Cause my friend Tom always wins at that. Its too complicated for me. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment