Tuesday, October 27, 2015

My Not So Secret Love

I began yesterday's blog by starting to get into this but wound up on another related subject. So here it is...

Over the last few years, I have become more open about this and have begun the slow process of coming out to my friends. I have always been a bit embarrassed to admit this about myself. But I am more comfortable sharing this about myself. I've been afraid of being labelled a "geek" or a "nerd". So here it is...

I love television. No, I mean really LOOOOVEE it! I cannot imagine living without it. I know more about television shows and the actors and creators then I do about the people in my own life. I am a walking encyclopedia of television history. I know the Emmy winners through the years. I can tell you the top rated shows from the beginning (1947 Texaco Star Theater with Milton Berle) through today (NCIS). I can tell what years and networks that shows aired on and who starred on them, who they were married to, who directed, produced etc.

I even won a great deal of money on Trivial Pursuit - America Plays, the game show.

I used to go straight the TV insert of the Sunday paper every week and memorize it.

I started reading the weekly Nielsen ratings every week when I was 12 and I haven't stopped.

But my knowledge kind of trails off as we get into the mid-2000s because of the proliferation of the cable networks and subsequently other sources of programming such as Netflix. But when it comes to the networks (ABC CBS and NBC) I know everything. Even who runs the networks and who ran them in the past. Its in there. In my head. And whenever someone says something that I know is incorrect, I immediately blurt out the correct answer. It's almost like tourettes. I can't help it! I think I may have a problem.

I'm not so crazy for present day TV. Most of it is like movies anyway. They look the same. They're just 22 or 43 minutes in length. I miss the days when it was just the big three (ABC CBS and NBC) . They programmed for everyone. Now, everything is splintered. Networks for kids, networks for women, networks for sports, networks for original movies.  No more Saturday morning cartoons on the networks. No more made for TV movies of Hallmark Hall of Fames. No more original programming on Saturday nights!

I miss the old shows. I grew up in front of the TV. On Friday nights, my sisters and I would roll out the sleeping bags, get into our PJs and watch the ABC Friday night line up (Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Room 222, The Odd Couple, and Love American Style), fall asleep and wake up on Saturday morning to watch all the cartoons (Archies, Sabrina and the Groovie Ghoulies, Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, The Monkees, HR Pufnstuff,  The Jetsons, Pebbles and Bam Bam). Saturday nights, the whole family including my parents watched the CBS line up (All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett). Sundays were Disney and Lassie.

Afternoons were loaded with reruns, Bewitched Jeannie, Mr. Ed, Superman, Mickey Mouse Club, The Musters, The Addams Family, Gilligan, the list goes on. The networks used to program  daytime reruns in the mornings of their recent shows The Lucy Show, Andy Griffith, The Beverly Hillbillies, Dick Van Dyke, That Girl.  There were the game shows, Concentration, Password, Match Game, Tattletales, Joker's Wild.

My parents were always after me to get out from in front of the TV and to go outside and play. "You've seen this I Love Lucy 100 times!"

What's left today? Two game shows on CBS and that's it. No more daytime reruns. Only four soaps and no cartoons.

Because of the fractured landscape of television today, we don't sit down as a family and watch TV together anymore. Kids today don't even watch TV on a TV! And never mid rushing home to catch your favorite shows. You can watch it anytime thanks to DVRs and streaming services.

I an still remember the thrill of rushing home from my part-time job at Sears on Friday nights to catch Dallas. Watching the drama unfold from week to week on St. Elsewhere and Knots Landing. God! How I loved those shows. I miss that. I want the old days back. Or am I just old?

And if you doubt my knowledge of TV history, go ahead and ask me if you see me. Its kind of hard to prove on here. Who's to say I won't use the internet to get the answer. So if you see me in person, ask away.

What do you think? Do you prefer the good ole days? Or do you prefer television today?  Or am I just an ornery old guy longing for the good ole days? I'd like to hear from you.





2 comments:

  1. I miss the "old" days too! Although, mine are a little more recent. ;) I'm an 80s kid. I LOVED Saturday morning cartoons. And good Family Friendly sitcoms. I can't even really name a sitcom worth watching right now... And weighing whether you went and hung out with friends and miss the next episode of Lois and Clark and Maybe catch it on a rerun. Although I do like the streaming aspect as well. I can splurge on a season of something I wouldn't have known existed or bithered to watch otherwise. (The Strain, American Horror Story) But it messes with the ratings and popular shows keep getting cancelled because of it. (Studio 60, one of my favorite shows ever) So I'm torn. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. ITA. I am a big binge watcher. I love Orange is the New Black, Transparent, any many others. But its so much to keep up with. And I think I agree with you about the ratings too.

      Delete